The perfect yoga movements for your body
What is the perfect yoga? Does it exist? And how to create your own?
There is a variety of yoga movements, and many times we see a yoga pose on social media, and think, wow! that is a perfect yoga pose, it looks awesome, and I want to try and achieve it. Without understanding how the body function and lack knowledge about yoga, you may force your body into the pose, get hurt, or damage your overall health and wellbeing.
Yoga is good, but not all yoga is good for everyone!
In the year 2006, I first moved to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I signed up for a membership in one of the big Yoga centres where there were various yoga classes from different teachers all day and every day. I tried all from Yin yoga, Hatha yoga, Gentle flow, vinyasa flow yoga, Astanga yoga, Dance yoga, meditation. I went there every day, and sometimes two classes a day! Yep, I was crazy as I didn’t have children, so there was plenty of time.
I was lucky to learn from many acknowledgeable teachers, and they were so helpful in the class.
Sadly, that yoga centre closed down a few years later, and I didn’t find any centre as good as that one. At that time it wasn’t so many yoga lessons on Youtube like these days. So, I tried to do it myself at home from what I can remember. As a beginner without a guide, I often hurt myself from wrist pain, ankle pain, and the worst one was the hamstrings injuries. It’s the big group of muscles and tendons on the back of the thigh and took me so long to recovered from it. That was a long time ago.
Even though there are many yoga channels on Youtube this day, we can easily learn and get into a yoga class with so much access. But, it seems to have more people get hurt from practising yoga.
All yoga posture that we have seen these days is only one part of yoga, but not all. Yoga means to unite the body, mind and spirit.
Yoga pose, or we call asana, is one of the processes to heal and balance our body and mind for a blissful and fulfilled life.
Yoga asana is different from other forms of exercise.
- It’s the technique that places a physical body in a position that cultivates awareness, relaxation, concentration, and meditation through stretching, massaging, and stimulating our physical level.
- Each yoga asana design has a specific effect on the glands and internal organs and alters electrochemical activity in the nervous system.
- It’s the process to clear the energy pathway(Nadis) in our human energetic system.
- Move and direct the energy(Prana) through entire the human body to balance body, tranquillity of mind, and a blissful soul.
So, the perfect yoga movement should bring the most benefit for your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.
How to create the perfect yoga that your body will thank for.
- What is your purpose for doing yoga? Knowing what you want from doing yoga is the first thing you should think about. Yoga helps boost our physical health and wellness. Different yoga benefits from general health and wellness, increase flexibility, build strength, loses weight, releases stress, and finds balance. Yes, you can get them all from doing yoga regularly, only you need to clarify the outcome you want to get from doing yoga.
- Be kind and listen to the body. There isn’t one size fit all; each of us is unique, so our bodies. One particular pose may not suit everyone. So, be kind and listen to your body. The body is honest. It is always speaking what it feels and wants. If the body says ouch, be kind to it by listening and finding a better solution for the body.
- Move with awareness and joy. If you force your body to do something that isn’t right, it will harm the body more than good. Referred to Yoga Sutra of Patanjali definition of yogasana: “Sthiram Sukham Aasanam”, meaning “that position which is comfortable and steady.” Any movements you are approaching should be comfortable, and a comfortable pose doesn’t always mean easy. It can be gentle or challenge. Therefore it should be the pose that you can stay in it without hurting yourself. And it is steady enough for your body, mind, and soul to reach the healing stage.
- Balance your movement. Within our human energetic system included energy pathway(Nadis) and energy points(chakra), and two different energies(energy= life-force), Yin and Yang, Sun and Moon, Masculine and Feminine, Activating and Relaxing. When we move our body in any position, we may be working on the sun or the moon energy, which depends on the pose and how we move. And we have to work on the other side as well; otherwise, we will block the opposite energy. Doing so can lead to off-balance, burnout, stress, unstable emotions.
- Find the right teacher & class for your need. Each teacher has a unique skill. First, you need to know what do you want from yoga. Ask the teacher if he/she can help you to achieve it and try it out. If it doesn’t meet your need, then you can find another one. Therefore, the teacher is only a guide that helps to find the best solutions for you. You are your best teacher; listen to your intuition.
From my experience of practising and teaching yoga for more than a decade, I’ve realised that we don’t need any more complicated in our lives. As a mother of two small children and a full hand of work, my personal movements depend on how I feel, what my body needs, and what result I want at that moment. And importantly, it should be short, simple, fun, and effective. This way encourage me to go to a yoga mat, develop discipline, consistency and boost health and wellness in the long term.
The perfect yoga should be any movements with an awareness that bring joy and balance your entire human body system.
And if you are with me, I invite you to try some of my yoga movements, guiding you to move your body with joy which I’m updating a new move every month. And follow more of my stories in my Instagram account below.